Saturday, October 17, 2009

Green Bean Casserole

This ain't yo mommy's green bean casserole. Well... actually, maybe it is. Pretty standard stuff. I've never really had it before, so I thought I'd try my hand at it. My wife was very anti- this dish; apparently, she's only ever had it with french-cut string beans which end up being very mushy. Well, we had leftover green beans from our garden that we had already pre-cut into short pieces, so we compromised. Turns out, short cut green beans are to casserole what bacon is to... everything! Not only did it make it a whole hell of a lot better, we got to use up some of our garden veggies too (which makes my wife very happy).

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup french-fried onions
3-4 cups green beans (cut short-wise, not french cut)

2/3 cup french-fried onions (top before baking)


Mix the milk, cream of mushroom, green beans and half the french-fried onions in a bowl.




Here is my wife helping with the mixing!











Then, I put a little olive oil in the skillet, just enough to coat the bottom and sides.





You add the mixture into the skillet and spread it around. Nothing fancy. Then add the remaining french-fried onions.









Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees, and voila! Green Bean Casserole ala Cast Iron Skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment